Sometimes, certain life circumstances prevent a parent from being able to care for their child(ren). In these cases, a third-party (usually a family member, such as a grandparent to the child) can be appointed as Guardian of the child on either a temporary or permanent basis. Guardianships of a minor can be uncontested if all parties agree to the terms of the Guardianship or contested if someone objects to the Guardianship.

You can also call (508) 635-8965 or fill out our contact form.

Grandparents with granddaughter (1) (1)
Some common scenarios in which a Guardianship may be appropriate include:

A parent is hospitalized or ill

Incarceration of a parent

Substance abuse

Mental health issues

If a parent needs to relocate without the child

DCF (Department of Children and Families) involvement with the family

Scroll to Top